Menu

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Law Enforcement Anxiety

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4585

• Mason
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
To all those who are in law enforcement, I was watching MSNBC this morning and they had an officer on who had attempted suicide. He was talking about how stressful the job is and how it became more than he could bear. Can some of you fellas in law enforcement share with us how this profession can cause serious anxiety. I felt it was something worth discussing as I never really thought about officers having anxiety. Mike, did this affect you in any way?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4586

• Mike
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Anxiety is an understatement Mason. The environment you are trust into is frightening but exciting, sometimes funny and other times very serious. An ability to adapt and to understand what you are called upon to do is not always easy. Taking a life is taking a life and it shouldn’t matter why you did it, it should always matter that you had to do it. It should trouble you, cause you some discomfort. Now, knowing that it was necessary helps but it should not be something that is taken lightly and the minute it is you got yourself a problem. I don’t understand the officer or any officer that takes the life of an unarmed person. It’s true it’s been too easy to kill black people in the United States for 400 years but it’s disgusting. To strangle a person to death, hearing them say I can’t breathe and he kept the hold on him. He felt his life slip away, that is disturbing. Something is wrong. To answer the question Mason, it is a problem and it all to often overlooked.

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4588

• Marc
  • Premium Member
Mom…it’s not easy dealing with some of the worst people life has to offer. I attribute my good upbringing, my faith, and the support of my immediate, extended, and Gnostic family. I know the Most High and I hold on to him when I deal with people. I treat them like people, I don’t threaten them, I am frank and always upfront. I don’t offer them things, or give them false hope. I don’t look for a confession when we have all the evidence a person is guilty. I stay grounded. I haven’t had to take a life yet. I know I can if I have to but I haven’t had to. I can imagine it is stressful for officers on the beat, I’m a detective so I’m not a criminals first contact. I agree with pop, it’s not okay to be comfortable taking life. It’s not okay to be comfortable being brutal or excessive. We actually have had officers suspended for domestic violence, one officer punch a woman in her face, a woman of color, and we’ve had complaints of sexual assault made by women against officers. My point is there is not telling what job anxiety is doing to some officers and it is something worth some needed attention.

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4589

• Rod
  • Elite Member
Mason I have three law enforcement clients. It is a very stressful job and it’s not hard to see why. I mean Michael talked about taking life, you deal with people who do this with ease all day long. You see things like Adam, men literally beating their wives to death, beating their children. They have to go to calls were children are being severely abused. There is nothing more hard than witnessing a child being physically abused by a disgusting adult. It’s disgusting. But they see the worst of society and it’s hard to imagine how they cope with that and surprisingly it is overwhelming.

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4591

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
OMG…OMG that’s all I can say. I try not to bring it home, I try not to hold on to the ugly for long. I keep doing it because I know how much it is needed. We have to. We have to defend the defenseless, but we have to remember that is what we do, we don’t murder the oppressed because it’s easier. We know when we are in danger. I do anyway. I’ve talk to Mike about this. When he was shot three times a while back he said he knew the guy was going to shoot at them. He put on his vest and that saved his life. I always know when I’m not in a safe situation. But, this is a stressful job and that is putting it way mildly.

Law Enforcement Anxiety 4 years 7 months ago #4599

• Adam
  • Premium Member
OMG I'm glad it's over for me. If anyone can tell you how being in law enforcement is hell it's me. I mean we see grown man attacking infants sexually. We see some pretty horrific things and it can often take its toll. Uncle Mike is right, we have to maintain a decorum of professionalism. We have to remember we are human and we are dealing with humans. We're not better than the people we are dealing with we're just here to maintain order. Death taking a life should always be taking very seriously. Sometimes you have to do this in order to protect but it should never be taken lightly or for granted. The final straw for me was the death of the young mother beaten so severely by her husband. I looked over the history her situation and learned this was a problem that continuously grew worse over time. It should have had some form of intervention. The suffering her and her children were subjected to. There prolonged suffering weighed heavy on my heart and I gladly want to provide for those innocent children I am glad we were able to give them a stable home and now we're going to give him some love as well. I promised her I would take care of her babies and I will. Sometimes our saving grace is doing something so significant. It levels out the whole process of maintaining law and order.[size]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds